Institute of Technical Sciences of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, under the name of »Institute of Mechanical Engineering of the Serbian Academy of Sciences«, was founded on July 15 th 1947 by the Committee for Scientific Institutions, University and Faculties to satisfy the need for the existence of such an institution which scientific and research work will be done in the field of mechanical engineering. The first director of the Institute was Academician Vladimir Farmakovski, professor of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Belgrade . In recognition of his merits for the great development of the Institute, after his death in 1954, Institute was renamed into the Institute of Mechanical Engineering of the Serbian Academy of Sciences »Vladimir Farmakovski«. On June 1 st 1963, by the decree of the Council for Scientific Work of the Socialist Republic of Serbia, in accordance with the regulation on foundation of the Institute, it was renamed into the Institute of Mechanical Engineering »Vladimir Farmakovski«, and his founders were the Executive Council of SR Serbia, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Belgrade.
In search for the most rational ways to organize scientific and research work within the Department of the Technical Sciences of SASA, at the Annual Academy Meeting on April 25 th 1968 , it was decided to annex the Institute to the Academy as scientific institution and its activity broadened to encompass the field of technical sciences. Thus SASA, now the only founder of the Institute, on April 8 th 1969 annexed the Institute to the Academy and renamed it into the Institute of Technical Sciences of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
Further organizational transformations contributed to reinforce the status of the Institute as the scientific unit of the Academy. The Agreement on mutual relationship regulation on April 17 th 1985, in accordance with the United Work Law, Scientific and Research Activity Law and the Statute of SASA, as well as the transformation from the II SASA Presidency Meeting on May 12 th 1994, lead in that direction. According to the latest Statute, Managing Board is formed on parity basis, as in other Institutes founded by the Republic, so that the SASA Presidency names the Managing Board of eight members, half proposed by the Institute and the other half by SASA Presidency. Since the research programmes are significantly wider, Statute establishes that »the Institute of Technical Sciences of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts is a scientific institution that performs scientific and research activity in the field of technical, technological and natural sciences, instigates the development of these sciences and promotes basic and applied research within them and, in cooperation with the public economy or independently, realizes the application of its achievements«.